In today’s world, the key to managing performance lies in creating strategic alignment within any organization. Strategic alignment impacts every worker every moment of every day. Alignment links the daily tasks to the big picture, reinforcing the importance of an employee’s work and labor to the success of the company. Alignment enables the work flow to move effectively; misalignment snarls the work flow and frustrates everyone.
My partners and I (Dr. Elena Granell- Instituto de Empresa, Spain, Dr. Al Vicere, Vicere Associates and Pennsylvania State University, and Dr. David Lopez, iAnalytics) have spent the last ten years researching the linkage between strategy, processes, infrastructure, behavior and organizational mindsets. We have found the key mindsets (DNA) that drive behavior in organizations and the critical processes and behaviors that link strategy to daily action. We have linked strategy to behavior and identified the mindsets that drive the behavior.
We have developed a model of the core belief systems of the company (how much employee latitude is needed in the company), and the critical processes that drive strategy execution (supervisory relationships) and created an easy to understand MAPP to view alignment. In our findings, the interaction between DNA and Behavior equal Strategic Capability and Execution. The MAPP model enables executives to readily see how well aligned they are, how to design new approaches and the critical areas to change to increase alignment.
We use the MAPP model and assessment as a basic systems measurement tool for examining the many facets of organizational effectiveness:
- As an alignment assessment tool that readily shows miss-alignments, blockages and critical areas to correct misalignment.
- As the “engine” to determine alignment in our computer based management simulation.
- As a fundamental tool for assessing organizational effectiveness by linking performance measures to alignment.
- As an integrating tool to determine the effectiveness of other organizational measures, such as employee satisfaction and 360° feedback measures.
- As a strategic planning model to determine current capabilities and to develop new strategic capabilities.
- As the basic measurement tool to assess organizational risk of all levels, from individual safety to enterprise-wide risk.
Using our valid and reliable organizational assessment tools, we link your performance outcome metrics, employee satisfaction and other in-house metrics to create easy to understand models of your company’s operations.
For example, our organizational alignment assessment results can be linked to:
- MBTI, DISC, or other personality assessments
- Functional competencies
- Individual competencies
- Company performance measures
- Company financial measures
- Individual health measures* (to create custom designed preventive health programs for companies)
- Spirituality assessments*
*Questionnaires already developed with alpha testing completed.